Monday, November 14, 2011

Telcel troubles

We arrived back at the boat on a Thursday afternoon and bright and early Friday, alright 10am is early for me, I made the trip into the Telcel store in downtown PV. Telcel is the Mexican version on AT&T and can change my US sims card in my Ipad into a Mexican card so that for a fee, $50.00 per month, I can have 3G coverage anywhere I go. It worked very well all last year so I had no qualms about singing up again this year even though there is a Starbucks within walking distance of the boat. I can only drink so many lattes.

All was working for two days, long enough for me to feel very comfortable. Suddenly on Sunday there was no connection until very late in the day and Monday there was nothing. Tuesday Rog and I drove into town for the first time to report our lack of connectivity to a lovely account manager that just smiled at us. I think that meant he did not understand a word we were saying. Soon there we other customers complaining about the lack of Internet so it was decided that the entire system was down for all Apple devices and Blackberries. Should be up soon!

In the meantime my iPhone is going haywire. It is shutting itself down and restarting itself every five minutes. Needless to say the battery was going dead in less than four hours. Did not think the two problems were related so I started researching new phones and how I could get one shipped to me down in Mexico. After two more days of frustration I was ready to just give up on the phone when I tried it one more time. That's right, it was now working perfectly! iPads are back online too so I am back in business.

No comments: