Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cocodrilo aka crocodile


Across the bay from Tenacatita is the little village of La Manzanillo not to be confused with the larger town of Manzanillo further down the coast. It is a great outing in the dingy on a calm day, just about a 45 min. ride at full throttle with only two on board. It is best to invite friends to take their own dingy if they want to tag along otherwise you sit too low in the water and can not make any speed. When you sit low you can get very wet, however the main reason for two in a dingy is the ease and timing of getting into and out of the dingy. When those waves start breaking it is difficult to board four quickly, believe me I know.

La Manzanillo is going through a major grow period. There are more palapas than when we visited in 2002 and now there is even an internet café. The speed is good and I could even figure out how to convert the text to English. That was very important. As you walk through the town it is not hard to miss the road construction. Real streets are being installed, one brick at a time. Concrete is moved a wheel barrow at a time, no cement trucks down here.



Rog gets a kick out of visiting the pond at the end of town where the local cocodrilo hang out. The restaurants in town bring there food waste down daily to feed them so they appear quite tame. People walk close to these big guys – but not me. I don’t even feel safe with the chain link fence separating us.

This big guy decided to move as Rog started taking pictures. You can see that Rog quickly backed away from him as he left the pond. The guys from Canada were much braver and walked right down to him. I was high tailing it out of there as fast as I could.


Check out the teeth

Back to the boat for me!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, I prefer to eat dinner than be dinner!