Friday, March 6, 2009

Spinnaker Flying

At the start of leg three of the Ha Ha there was great wind at the very early morning start time of 8am. I was barely awake and I know I had not had a cup of coffee when Rog called for the spinnaker crew to get on deck. Drats, we were not going to ease into the day as I had hoped. We did get the chute up and flying full when Proligate crossed our bow. This picture was in Latitude 38 but the boat was identified as La Palapa not Di's Dream. I am here to tell you that it was Di's Dream flying the palm tree spinnaker, I watched her for too many miles not to recognize my own sail.


The sky looks very threatening but in fact we were all in shirt sleeves and very comfortable. We did keep the sail up until mid afternoon when the wind picked up and it was no longer a ladies leisurely sail. The Nobletech recorded momentary boat speeds of 14 knts--hang on to your hats it could get ugly. Rog got the evil eye from me and the sail promptly came down. Marilyn and I became very proficient at handling the spinnaker lines.


No comments: